Re: Currie / McVurich - please help

What can work is *writing it up!* Look at a family, or a person, note carefully the records and if you want more people to read your post -- include some images. You can screenshot some records so that only the part pertaining to your family or person is shown. Introduce the person/family, summarize the facts and supporting evidence, and explain why your ancestor is not the same person as someone with the same name in the neighboring town/county/state, or whatever the wrong "facts" are being stated without evidence. 

You don't need a website -- there are lots of places to post your proof statement. Your genealogy society might have a blog, or journal, or maybe it's easiest to just start up a free blog and do it there. Blogger and Wordpress are both free and easy to set up. Mine is at https://genweblog.blogspot.com/. I still get contacts from cousins from old posts! Some people even write short posts on Twitter!

Valorie

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 1:12 PM Embleton House <ehouse@...> wrote:

I agree years ago in ignorance I took a lot of family records as gospel until I started searching around. I think s lot of others did as well. Unfortunately those files that were posted cannot be changed now as far as I know.

Faith

Embleton House B&B

Licence # 009-002809

5203 52 Street

Yellowknife, NT.

Canada, X1A 1T8

Ph: 1-867-873-2892 Ext: 0

Ph: Toll free in North America: 1-888-909-5203

Fax: 1-867-873-4927

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dona Findlay via groups.io
Sent: January 20, 2021 1:06 PM
To: Islay@scotland-genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Islay] Currie / McVurich - please help

Well said Iain !

On 20 Jan 2021, at 17:41, Iain MacIntosh <iainmacintosh75@...> wrote:

Have you an original official source for this assumption . I have come across so many Ancestry trees which have just copied unsubstantiated information without going back to original records for verification.  My family in other trees have some whoppers! 🙄

Iain Macintosh 

--
http://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her

Join Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.