Re: Donald Currie + Katherine Sinclair

Janet Chubb

Hi Toni long time since I heard from you.   Yes that is right, also when my Dad visited Islay over 25 years ago, someone told him that his branch of the Curries got caught in a Church, escaped and changed their name to Currie.  How much truth I do not know.  

Alexander Currie and his wife Mary Buie from Jura 2 oldest children named John born about  1820 and Alexander about1823.    One of them as a small child fell into the fire and passed away.   The other died in a snowstorm with his cousin.   Would anyone have any idea of that? 

Have a great day

Janet Currie Chubb

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: January 24, 2021 7:59 AM
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Islay] Donald Currie + Katherine Sinclair

Hello all,  I hope you don't mind if I butt into this conversation.   I found my record of the marriage between Donald Currie and Katherine Sinclair, Feb.1786.  This is what I have for their family:   1. daughter Catherine died 15 March, 1874, age 90, poor house.  If this is correct, she was probably their first-born around 1784.  2. Mary, Jan 3, 1787 at Sgarabus  3. Iver, Dec. 18, 1791.  4.  Ann, Sept. 1796 at Daill;  Alexander, Sept. 2,1798, Lurabus.  Emigrated to Egremont twp, Grey Co.  

So, if we used the traditional naming pattern, Donald's parents names might be "Iver Curry" and "Mary".  Thus, Katherine's parents might be "Alexander Sinclair" and "Katherine".   I know that is just speculative, BUT, Alexander Sinclair did live at Daill farm in the late 1790s, and his wife's name was Katherine.  "Iver" is a very unusual first name, certainly for Islay Sinclairs, so I suggest that the name is probably a Currie forename.   (just doing a quick google of Iver Curry + Argyllshire, I see that the name might have changed to "Edward", a more anglicized version.  I saw the name "Iver Curry" on the mainland of Argyllshire in a couple of places.  

Just thought it might help. 
Toni
(PS - Hi Janet!  I think we corresponded a few years ago.  And Roger! ....many more years ago.  Yikes!   Anyway, it's nice to be back.)   

Join Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.