Re: Sinclair/McDougall

Chris MacDougall

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been sharing this McDougall and Sinclair information for Islay. I seem to share many of these same connections, though I have never really explored them in detail. I have DNA matches that list Peter "Angus" McDougall and Mary McDougall married to Malcolm Currie.

One of my matches also lists a Margaret McDougall (from Islay) married to a Duncan Sinclair (from Inveraray and moved to Islay). They had three children: Margaret, Duncan and Catherine.

My connection to the area is through my fourth great grandfather, Malcolm McDougall, who first lived on Jura, but eventually moved to Islay. My third great grandfather, Angus McDougall, was born on Jura in 1814 and was listed as a blacksmith in the 1841 census records for Islay, before he moved his family to the Nottawasaga area in Ontario.

It has previously been assumed that my Malcolm, born in 1786, was the son of Angus McDougall and Mary McFadyen, but the only real link was that Malcolm was from Keils, Jura (though it might have been Keills, Islay) and that Angus and Mary had another child named Flora (born 1787) and married to Duncan Keith.

The consideration, and thanks to Chas Houston for this, was that Angus McDougall was born in 1753 at Bowmore.

I have been working to establish some patterns based off of the DNA matches that I share with others for the links that I believe to be McDougall in nature, but it is still a work in progress.

I am always happy to discuss this topic further. :-)

All the best,

Chris MacDougall

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 11:47 AM Ken Harrison <kenharrison43@...> wrote:

Malcolm,

Congratulations on your breakthrough!

I just want to check a few things with you.

Catherine: I show her married 1808 in Kildalton to John Smith.  Can you verify?

John: in 2006 you wrote that “I have a John McDOUGALL b. 1771 Islay at Grastle, the Oa, Islay. They immigrated to Ontario, settling in Thorah Twp., Beaverton, ON circa 1832.   His wife was Christina McDOUGALL (nee), b. 1794, also Grastle.  They brought 8 children born over 18 years, none named John.”  This latest info shows him to be 12 years younger than you thought earlier.  Have I understood this correctly?

Peter: have you any details about the other names for him (Angus & King of Egypt)?  I show him married to Margaret McCuaig, from Kintra, Islay – can you verify?

Allan: new to me.  Do you have any more details?