Re: Poor house later called Gortonvoggie

Janet Chubb

Catherine Currie never married, she was single.

Janet Currie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: October 27, 2020 4:45 PM
To: moonjett@...; Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Islay] Poor house later called Gortonvoggie

Catherine Currie.  Was she married to Dugald McLachlan? From Kilfinan?

Don McKellar

-----Original Message-----
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Oct 27, 2020 1:29 am

Hi Janet and all

I see where you mentioned information taken from the Poor Book of Kilarrow.    Is that Book available for searching someplace ?

I, too, am searching for my CURRIE ancestors of Islay.  My gr-grandfather, Archibald CURRIE was born around 1838 on Islay.  He immigrated to Central Ontario probably around 1865.  On his 1871 Ontario, Canada marriage to Flora GILCHRIST, he gave his parents names as James and Lizzie CURRIE.   I have been exploring the possible relationship of a DNA Match whose ancestor was Mary CURRIE born about 1841 on Islay, and gave her parents’ names as James CURRIE and Eliza LYNCH.  We have found no record of their coming to Canada or of their parents on Islay.  Perhaps they were in a poor house and sent away from there.

The Poor Book of Kilarrow provide a clue. 

Lois Moon

Sent: October 27, 2020 12:37 AM
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io

I do not know when Donald Currie or his wife Catherine Sinclair Currie passed away.   I found a death record for their daughter Catherine Currie who was a  sister to Alexander Currie who passed away in the Poorhouse, on 13 March 1874.  She never married.  

Donald Currie and Catherine Sinclair Currie children are:

Catherine Currie 1784   died 13 March 1874 in the Poorhouse

Mary Currie born 3 Feb 1787  husband unknown.

Iver Currie 18 Dec 1791 may have moved to the States not sure

Ann Currie 10 Dec 1796  husband unknown

Alexander Currie  1797  married Mary Buie from Jura moved 1851 on the Sea Walrus to Canada, they settled in Grey Co Ontario. 

This is all the children of Donald Currie and Catherine Sinclair Currie have.

There is this from the Poor Book of Kilarrow c 1852 page 29

In 1868 Catherine Currie was aged 84 and housed in the Poor house in Bowmore.  Her parents were confirmed as Donald Currie a labourer and Catherine Sinclair both deceased at this time

The thing is you can believe all you want but need proof.  Which is hard to find the further a person goes back.

Have a good day

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: October 26, 2020 6:17 PM
To: Islay@scotland-genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [Islay] Poor house later called Gortonvoggie

Hello:

I've found a reference on My Heritage to the deaths of Donald Currie who died just before 1851 in this poorhouse and his wife Catharine Sinclair who passed away shortly after. 

I and my cousins are matching via DNA to some of the descendants of Alexander Currie 1798-1866 (son of the above couple)

I'm trying to figure out if my ggg grandmother Mary Currie 1794-1877 and her brother Donald Currie 1806-1877 were siblings of Alexander.  We believe the mother of Mary and Donald was a Sinclair.  If they weren't siblings  they might have been first cousins. 

Anyway, would the death records for the poorhouse (c 1850/51) be in the parish records? or was there a separate register at the poorhouse? Also might there be any poorhouse admission records that might shed light on this couple? ( who could be my gggg grandparents) 

Thanks for any help.

Anne Goeden 

Join Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.