Re: Roll Call ?

Betty Macey

Hi all.

My 4xG Grandfather Hector McInnes married Marion McCaffer at Kilchoman on 17 December 1822. The 1851 census shows most of the family living at Coullabus and gives Hector’s place of birth as Rothesay, Isle of Bute. Hector died in 1856 in Port Glasgow - there is no forename for his father but his mother is given as Mary Johnson.

Marion McCaffer’s place of birth is usually given as Kilmeny or Kilchoman, probably about 1790. Frustratingly, I have never been able to find a death certificate for her though she was still living with her daughter Isabella Grant and my 3xG Grandfather, her son Neil b. Kilchoman c 1833. There is plenty of evidence of other activity by family members around Port Glasgow and Greenock during mid to late 1800s (not least that my grandfather, another Neil McInnes, told me that there were so many of us that there was a close in Greenock called McInnes Close) but Marion McCaffer McInnes vanishes from records after 1861.

The children of Hector and Marion that I know of are Duncan, Marion, Isabella, Neil, John, Peter, and Donald, all born between about 1827-1839 at Kilchoman.

Betty McInnes Macey

On 22 Jan 2020, at 14:23, Rebecca Campbell <beckner_20@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

My last direct ancestors to raise their families on Islay were:

  1. William Campbell born Abt. 1775 (parents and siblings unknown) and Elizabeth Graham born Abt. 1781 (parents and siblings unknown) married 1801 and had 14 children between Ballyvicker and Taycarmagan in Kildalton. Of their 14 children (Mary, Archibald, Anne, Unknown, Hector, Margaret, John, James, William, Elizabeth, Isabel, Robert and Janet) I know that at minimum Margaret, William, John, Elizabeth, Isabel and Janet all ended up in Canada along with their mother Elizabeth Graham.
  2. Gilbert McTaggart (Malcolm McTaggart and Mary McAlpine) from Kilchoman married Mary McNabb (Peter McNabb and Mary Campbell of Lurabus, Kildalton) married Abt. 1820. They had 8 children (Flora, Peter, Malcolm, Angus, Mary, Catherine, Margaret and Unknown Son), only 5 reached adulthood with Mary and Catherine going to Canada and the rest (Flora, Angus and Margaret) remaining on Islay.
Hopefully something of this is familiar to someone out there.

Rebecca