Re: Roll Call -- Gillespie, Bell, McGillivray, White or Whyte, McDermid, Heyman

Chris MacDougall

Hi Jeanette,

Like Dorothy, I have Gillespie and Bell in my tree.

I don't have an Ann McGillivray, but I do have a Mary McGillivray, born approx. 1799, who married a John Allan McLean, born approx. 1803. This family moved to Nottawasaga, Ontario, along with my direct line ancestors.

All the best,

Chris

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 5:41 PM Dorothy Bell <dotbell2011@...> wrote:

I have a Catherine Bell b. abt 1805 Kilchoman Parish, Gearach, Islay, Scotland; d/o Duncan Bell & Mary Sinclair. She married John Gillespie, b. abt 1777 Kilchoman, Islay, Scotland s/o Duncan Gillespie & Mary Catherine McDougall.  They moved to Canada and settled in Minto, Wellington Co., Ontario. Both are buried at Bethel Pioneer Cemetery, Wellington Co., Ontario

I'm a bit late to join in the roll call but am interested in finding others with interests in these families:

Gillespie & Bell
John Gillespie b. Abt 1777 m. Catherine Bell b. Abt 1805
They moved to Canada.
No good info on their parents. Speculate maybe John Bell and Catherine McNiven as Catherine's parents but other trees attribute other parents to her.

White & McGillivray (and McDermid, Heyman)
John White b. Abt 1811 m. in 1830 Ann McGillivray b. Abt 1803
In marriage record John in Skibba and Ann in Ellister
They moved to Canada.
John White possible father, living with him in 1841 census:
James White b. Abt 1851 Kilchoman, d. 1856 Ballymenach, parents Finlay White and Jane Heyman
Possible sisters (daughters of James White): Catherine White m. Donald McIntyre and Flora White m. Duncan McIntyre (brothers)

Possible sisters to Ann McGillivray: Mary m. Alexander Jamieson and Effy (Euphemia) m. James McIntyre

Possible mother to Ann McGillivray: Euphemia Effy McTaggart (not sure that's her maiden name); she's living with possible sister Mary in 1851 (Mary's mother)

Glad this mailing list is still going!

I know there are a lot of McGillivray researchers in particular on this list, so hoping to make some progress on that family if I can.

Jeanette