Roll Call

mcwritersblock@...

Hello sons and daughters of Islay!

1. Family surnames: McGilvray, Campbell, Lamont

2. Family info:

My ancestor, John McGilvray (b. 1831?), left Islay around 1850. His father, Archibald, and his mother, Annie Campbell remained on Islay. The siblings of John (from a mix of family records and info I received from Charles Houston's site) included: Neil (b. 1827), Angus (b. 1829), Mary (b. 1834), Anna Sarah (b. 1839), and Marion (b. 1841). There may also be an Archibald, unless it is a middle name for either Neil or Angus. I'm looking for info on any of the siblings. Anna was reported to have married a McEachern whose family had a whiskey distillery (it may no longer exist). I found a marriage record for Ann McGilvray and John McEachern in 1856 at Greenock, Renfrew, and presume this to be the right match at present.

John McGilvray eventually settled in Buffalo, NY, where an uncle, Duncan McGilvray, lived. I have info on the Archibald/John McG line, as well as the Duncan McG family line. I would love to hear from anyone with further info, or to answer further about the info I have.

Ryan McGilvray