Re: Roll Call ?

L MOON

Hi Janice

One of my Islay connection is via my gr-grandfather Archibald CURRIE who was born there about 1840.  He came to Canada in 1865, per the 1901 Ontario Census.   In 1871 he married Flora GALBRAITH ( born in Ontario) in Oro Township, Simcoe County, ON.   The marriage registration gives his parents names as James and Lizzie.  Archie and Flora had 8 children including my grandmother Lizzie.

The only possible find for him in Scotland was this:

"Transcription of the 1841 Census of Kilmeny, Islay, Scotland, LDS film 101812"

Parish,    Place,       First Name,     Surname,                  Sex,    Age,  Occupation,   Place of birth

Kilmeny, ,Keppols, James,              Currie,                      Male,  35,    Tailor,                     ARY

Kilmeny, ,Keppols, Elizabeth,         Currie,                      Fem,   35                                      ARY

Kilmeny, ,Shinghart, Neil,                McDermid,             Male,   40,   Ag. Lab.,                   Born Elsewhere

Kilmeny, ,Shinghart, Jean,               McDermid,             Fem,    40,                                      Born Elsewhere

Kilmeny, ,Shinghart, Peter,              McDermid,             Male,   19,                                     Born Elsewhere

Kilmeny, ,Shinghart, Charles,           McDermid,             Male,   10,                                     ARY

Kilmeny, ,Shinghart, Catherine,       McDermid,             Fem,      8,                                      ARY

Kilmeny, ,Shinghart, Archibald,        Currie,                    Male,      4,                                      ARY

I don’t this McDermid family.

Do you know of my CURRIE family ?

Lois Moon

Sent: April 17, 2020 7:50 AM
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Islay] Roll Call ?

Islay people - McNeill, McDermid, Currie, McGilvray, Ferguson (2 branches who intermarried, just to make it more interesting, lol).

Places: Bowmore, Portnahaven.

Our link to Islay - my husband's grandmother - left for North America in December 1907. She never returned to Scotland.

Join Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.