Re: McDougall Islay Connections, with plenty of other links

Chris MacDougall

Hello everyone,

I wanted to say thank you to the people who reached out to me in regards to my first message, as it helped to virtually meet a distant cousin, and helped to solidify a lead that my fourth great grandfather's dad was Angus McDugald. Thank you!

Angus looks to have been born around 1753 in Bowmore, and he married Mary McFaidain (McFadyen I believe) in January of 1778 in Kilarrow. Looking over the parish records for that time, it looks like there were three other men with the same spelling of the last name, showing as McDugald. They are listed as Lachlan McDugald, Dun (short for Duncan?) McDugald and Jo (short for John?) McDugald. I am speculating that this group of four individuals were brothers, or at least related, as they are the only four with the last name spelled in this fashion.

Dun married a Margaret King in December of 1776, Jo married an Isabell Brown in January of 1781, and Lachlan married Sarah McDugald in July of 1773. There may have also been an Alexander McDugald, who was married to a Marion McFadian. They are listed as having a child named Christian in 1771.

Any information that someone may have in regards to these individuals is greatly appreciated.

Also, if you know of anyone who is a male MacDougall (various spellings included) whose family has maintained the name throughout their history (carried through the male line), the Clan MacDougall DNA project has begun to generate some momentum, and is offering a free general Y-DNA test to male MacDougalls who wish to take part (at least for the time being). Their website is macdougalldna.org

All the best and stay safe,

Chris

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 10:06 PM Chris MacDougall via Groups.Io <c.a.macdougall=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi everybody!

My name is Chris MacDougall, and I have a wide range of Islay connections that I have been attempting to put together, with my focal point being Malcolm McDougall (my fourth great-grandfather).

I have connections in my family tree to the surnames Currie, Gillespie, Sinclair, Bell, McNeil, and more.

Malcolm McDougall was believed to have been born around 1786, which was found through the 1841 census records, which place him on Islay. I first have him on Jura, married to Janet McLeod. His first born son was Angus McDougall (1814), who went on to marry Ann (Jane) McLean. He remarried to Catharine Black and they had children on both Jura and Islay. While married to Catharine, Malcolm was listed as the father of what was at the time termed an "illegitimate" child named John. From the Islay census extract for 1841 it shows Malcolm at Ardhala (Kildalton), with Catharine, and the following children: Dougald, Donald, Alexander, Janet and Duncan.
Angus married Ann in 1831, and they are listed at Portnellan (Kilmeny) in 1841 with the following children: Alex, Ann, Flora and May. Angus was the smith during this time.

During the mid 1840s, Angus' family went to Canada, and they settled in the Nottawasaga area, specifically around Collingwood and Stayner. In the early 1900s, some of my family moved to Muskoka, in Ontario, which is where I still live.

I have done various DNA tests through Ancestry and FamilyTreeDNA, so I may have some possible matches that I do not know of.

I am happy to help in any way that I can based on my family's history, and if anyone has McDougall information to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

All the best,
Chris