McDougall Islay Connections, with plenty of other links

Chris MacDougall

Hi everybody!

My name is Chris MacDougall, and I have a wide range of Islay connections that I have been attempting to put together, with my focal point being Malcolm McDougall (my fourth great-grandfather).

I have connections in my family tree to the surnames Currie, Gillespie, Sinclair, Bell, McNeil, and more.

Malcolm McDougall was believed to have been born around 1786, which was found through the 1841 census records, which place him on Islay. I first have him on Jura, married to Janet McLeod. His first born son was Angus McDougall (1814), who went on to marry Ann (Jane) McLean. He remarried to Catharine Black and they had children on both Jura and Islay. While married to Catharine, Malcolm was listed as the father of what was at the time termed an "illegitimate" child named John. From the Islay census extract for 1841 it shows Malcolm at Ardhala (Kildalton), with Catharine, and the following children: Dougald, Donald, Alexander, Janet and Duncan.
Angus married Ann in 1831, and they are listed at Portnellan (Kilmeny) in 1841 with the following children: Alex, Ann, Flora and May. Angus was the smith during this time.

During the mid 1840s, Angus' family went to Canada, and they settled in the Nottawasaga area, specifically around Collingwood and Stayner. In the early 1900s, some of my family moved to Muskoka, in Ontario, which is where I still live.

I have done various DNA tests through Ancestry and FamilyTreeDNA, so I may have some possible matches that I do not know of.

I am happy to help in any way that I can based on my family's history, and if anyone has McDougall information to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

All the best,
Chris