Re: McAulay Kilchoman Later MacAulay Chester, PA

mearnsmg@btinternet.com

Paul,

How does this grab you?

The Jean (10) living with Duncan in the 1851 Census was a neice born in Glasgow.

A Jean was born to Gilbert McAulay & Jean McDermid in Glasgow on 1/4/1840.

Gilbert (a wright) & Jean were married in Glasgow on 7/9/1832 by the Gaelic Minister of the Gorbals (suggesting, to me, that they came from the Islands).

In the 1841 Census there is a family Gilbert a 40 year old wright, Jean at 30, Elizabeth 3 & Jean 1 living in Brownfields Parish. Elizabeth was born in Glasgow on 11/5/1836. As yet, cannot find the family in the 1851 Census.

In the 1851 Census I have an Angus McAulay, with a 13 year old neice Elizabeth, born in Glasgow, living with him.

So could these two neices be the children of Gilbert & Jean, each living with one of their Father's brothers????

I have Angus being born at Laggan, Islay around 1799 (based on age at death on 2/4/1888), although he was married in Kilchoman and his children were born in both Kilchoman & Portnahaven. Angus' known children were Gilbert, John, Duncan, Donald & Alexander.

Angus' parents were John McAulay & Ann Shaw.

What do you think??

Regards

Mike

------ Original Message ------
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Thursday, 20 Feb, 2020 At 16:30
Subject: [Islay] McAulay Kilchoman Later MacAulay Chester, PA

Some years ago, I found this note in a family Bible. It was written in pencil on a small piece of lined paper by my great-grandmother Elizabeth (Lizzie Smiley) MacAulay, wife of Angus MacAulay, I suppose, for her grandchildren. It gives the names, ages and birthdays for her children, except for Rachel her only daughter who died in her late teens:

Join Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.