Re: McAulays - DUNCAN MACAULAY - 1851 CENSUS - GLASGOW BARONY

mearnsmg@btinternet.com

Hi Angus,

Brilliant, I've just tried it and there he is!!

I usually select the "fuzzy matching" option on surnames to pickup odd spellings.

I will, now, be able to see where the children were born and the fact that Jean is a niece opens a link to another family.

Thanks again.

Regards

Mike

------ Original Message ------
To: "Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io" <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, 20 Feb, 2020 At 01:14
Subject: Re: [Islay] McAulays - DUNCAN MACAULAY - 1851 CENSUS - GLASGOW BARONY

Hello,

Just to let you know that DUNCAN does appear in the 1851 Scottish Census at Glasgow BARONY.

He appears as "DUNCAN MCANLEY" aged 60. Ref: 622/63/21.

He is listed with his children Mary, John and Margaret as well as his niece, Jean. Their surnames are also given as "MCANLEY".

Best regards,

Angus.

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> on behalf of mearnsmg@... via Groups.Io <mearnsmg@...>
Sent: 19 February 2020 20:01
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Islay] McAulays
Hi Paul,

I left Greenock Scotland in 1962 now reside in Kent England. My son lives in Syracue Utah, so I have been to Idaho a couple of times.

I tried all the names you gave with Duncan but got nil returns, although I believe I found Angus and his wife. I have always taken Scotland's People as the authoratitive source of all official scottish records, it will be interested in seeing their response to my query.

If you have something on Duncan around 1861 that is good news. Prior to 1855 death records are few and far between. In the 1851 info you sent Duncan is shown as 60, so at 1861 he would be 70ish, at that age I would have thought he was too old to undertake long voyages

I'll keep you posted.

Mike

------ Original Message ------
To: "Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io" <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, 19 Feb, 2020 At 03:30
Subject: Re: [Islay] McAulays

Hi Mike,
Just out of curiosity, where are you located. I live in the state of Idaho, USA. (Not that it makes any difference.) I could not find Duncan in the 1851 census either. I mentioned this to a friend I had made in Scotland through the research I was doing and he provided me with what I sent to you. I got the information from Ancestry. I don't know why it's not on ScotlandsPeople.

I still haven't figured out what happened to Duncan. I'm assuming that he emigrated somewhere, maybe Australia or New Zealand. If he stayed in Scotland there should be some record. I haven't found any records about Duncan beyond the 1861 census and it doesn't make sense.
If I find anything, I'll let you know
Paul

Join Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.