Re: McAulays

Paul MacAuley

Hi Mike,

I could not find Duncan in the 1851 census on SP myself.  A friend in Scotland found the information in his records.  At the time, ScotlandsPeople and Ancestry were negotiating some sort of deal and SP didn't have him in their census registry.  Here is what I have on Duncan 1851:

Name: Duncan Mcauley
Estimated birth year: abt 1791
Relationship: Head
Where born: Islay, argyle
Parish Number: 622
Civil Parish: Barony
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 63 Main St Thom Sqr
ED: 20A
Page: 21
Household schedule number: 79
Line: 15
Roll: CSSCT1851_142
Household Members:
Name Age
Duncan Mcauley 60
Mary Mcauley 20
John Mcauley 18
Margaret Mcauley 14
Jean Mcauley 10

At this point in time, Duncan's son Angus (my ggr fathr) was married to Catherine Milligan in Glasgow working as a plasterer.  Catherine died just a few years later and he emigrated to the US in 1854, I believe.  I don't know what happened to his Scottish children, Mary and Angus, aged 4 and 2 respectively, at the time of Catherine's death.

Paul

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> on behalf of mearnsmg@... via Groups.Io <mearnsmg@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 1:53 PM
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Islay] McAulays

Paul,

I have not been able to pin down your Duncan in the Scottish census records, are you able to tell me where he was in the 1851 census.

I have noticed a (farm) called Kilchiaran close to Kilchoman. In the 1811 Tenants list there is a Duncan McLellan at Kilchiaran, phonetically this sounds like the placename in your email of 29th January.

I am not making any progress with my family, so any snippet might help me link up with any other snippet, one never knows.

Mike

------ Original Message ------
To: "Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io" <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, 31 Jan, 2020 At 22:40
Subject: Re: [Islay] McAulays

Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. There must be some relationship between the groups but I can't find it. I'm at one of those dead ends.

Paul

Join Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.