Re: McAulays

Paul MacAuley

Hi Mike,

I could not find Duncan in the 1851 census on SP myself.  A friend in Scotland found the information in his records.  At the time, ScotlandsPeople and Ancestry were negotiating some sort of deal and SP didn't have him in their census registry.  Here is what I have on Duncan 1851:

Name: Duncan Mcauley
Age: 60
Estimated birth year: abt 1791
Relationship: Head
Gender: Male
Where born: Islay, argyle
Parish Number: 622
Civil Parish: Barony
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 63 Main St Thom Sqr
Occupation: Joiner (house)
ED: 20A
Page: 21
Household schedule number: 79
Line: 15
Roll: CSSCT1851_142
Household Members:
Name Age
Duncan Mcauley 60
Mary Mcauley 20
John Mcauley 18
Margaret Mcauley 14
Jean Mcauley 10

At this point in time, Duncan's son Angus (my ggr fathr) was married to Catherine Milligan in Glasgow working as a plasterer.  Catherine died just a few years later and he emigrated to the US in 1854, I believe.  I don't know what happened to his Scottish children, Mary and Angus, aged 4 and 2 respectively, at the time of Catherine's death.

Paul