Re: Russ McGilvray - McFadyens

Ellen Sager

Hi Roger, you indicate that you have read and recorded all gravestones on Islay.  I have this obituary of William McEachern/MacEachern.  When I was visiting Islay in 1990 I looked for a stone at the Kilchoman churchyard but couldn't find one.  Perhaps you have come across it.  Do you have a list of the gravestones that one can search?
Thanks, Ellen Sager

Obituary from the Oban Times on the death of Wm MacEachern, Feb 5, 1918:
Conisby - on the 5th Ult. Mr. William MacEachern peacefully passed away to his rest.  Being the oldest son of Mr. John MacEachern, farmer, he spent the greatest part of his life in this hamlet.  The deceased had been in indifferent health for the last six months, and bore his illness with great fortitude and resignation.  He was a fine speciman of the Highlander, and of the good old stamp, of which there are few remaining.  He was a lineal descendent of the famous MacEachern smiths, sword-makers and swordsmen, the makers of the sword called ceann Ileach(clann Eachern Othisinnis).  He was an enthusiastic Highlander and was fond of sports, being an athlete of some repute.  He won third prize for putting the stone in the same competition with the world renowned athlete, Donald Dinnie.  His favourite athletes were Donald Dinnie and the famous Islay athlete, Donald Gillespie, familiarly known as "Donhnull a'Chreagain".  Deceased was highly intelligent and took a warm interest in the leading political questions of the day.  He was warmly esteemed by all who knew him, and will be greatly missed.  He was 71 years of age, and has left his wife and grown-up family of four sons and three daughters to mourn his loss. The funeral took place to the burial ground in the ancient Culdee churchyard of Kilchoman.  The funeral was largely attended - an evidence of the esteem in which the deceased was held by friends and acquaintances.  Impressive services were conducted at the house and the grave by the Rev. Messrs. Taylor, Baptist Church, Bowmore, and Boyd Parish Church Kilchoman.  Sincerest sympathy is extended to his wife and family in their bereavement.

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> on behalf of Roger via Groups.Io <rogermcwee99@...>
Sent: January 25, 2020 6:14 AM
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Islay] Russ McGilvray - McFadyens

Hi Philip,
Its your luck day. My friend and I have read and recorded all Islay gravestones that are visible.  The last one we did was Bowmore which is still in use and therefore always changing
Let me know who you are looking for.  Also bear in mind I have images of all the stones too
Regards Roger

Join Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.